Sunday, March 30, 2008

One down...

...many more to go, and thankfully so, because I rode pretty eh this weekend.

The first round of the NMBS took us to sunny Fontana, California. Nobody seems to have heard of Fontana, but despite its anonimity, this charming sprawl has plenty to offer. For example, every fast-food chain ever created is represented within a one mile radius of our hotel. For all you Olive Garden fans, there are no less than 39 locations within a 6-mile radius of us. There is a collasal NASCAR arena nearby, and I've been told a mountain range as well (though I've yet to see it due to smog, more fondly known as the "marine layer"). But don't take my word for it (Reading Rainbow reference!). Just ask Edward Scissorhands, who apparently spends time here:

My roommate for the weekend, Ben Kraushaar, took this picture while pre-riding the course. He saw this bad-boy have a go at a pro woman riding just ahead of him. After seeing this picture, I thought every trail-side stick and piece of litter (of which there was plenty) was a rattlesnake. I was jumpy to say the least.

Huge thanks to Mitch Hoke for all the rides--you navigate traffic like a Californian, but you ride bikes like a Coloradoan. Word.

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

I love it! But do watch out for those "bad boys!" xo

Aidan said...

Who knew Edward Scissorhands enjoyed eating cheap Italian food at the Nascar track?

Emily said...

I don't know whether I'm more scared of the garden creature or the rattle snake. Equally terrifying.